2nd Annual Bach Competition for Young Artists
January 18, 2020
Colorado Bach Ensemble is proud to announce the second annual Bach competition during the 2019–2020 season for aspiring artists interested in the music of J. S. Bach. This year’s competition is limited to interested VOCALISTS. One First Place Winner and one Runner-Up will be selected by the judges on January 18, 2020 to be featured soloists on one of Bach’s Solo Cantatas at CBE’s final performances in May 2020. In addition to the performance opportunity, the First Place Winner will receive a cash prize of $2,000 and the Runner-Up will receive $1,000. Each will have a chance to perform again with CBE in future seasons at the discretion of the Artistic Director. Please read below for eligibility requirements, audition details, deadlines, and link to the application form below.
Judges on January 18, 2020 will include:
- James Kim, Artistic Director of Colorado Bach Ensemble
- Other distinguished Bach performers and specialists TBA
Solo Cantatas to be performed in May 2020 will be selected from the following based on the chosen winners:
- Jauchzet Gott in allen Landen, BWV 51 (Soprano)
- Vergnügte Ruh, beliebte Seelenlust , BWV 170 (Alto)
- Ich armer Mensch, ich Sündenknecht, BWV 55 (Tenor)
- Ich habe genug , BWV 82 (Bass)
The competition is open to citizens of the United States between the ages of 22 and 30. Participants must provide a copy of identification (i.e. driver’s license or passport) with their application to confirm eligibility. As of January 18, 2020, participants must not yet have reached their 31st birthday. The application must be submitted by mail, postmarked by Saturday, December 14, 2019.
Audition Date & Location: Saturday, January 18, 2020 at Bethany Lutheran Church – 4500 E Hampden Ave, Cherry Hills Village, CO 80113
- The preliminary round will be on Saturday, January 18, 2020 from 9:00 a.m.–12:00 p.m.
- Participants who mailed in their application by the postmark deadline (12/14/19) will be notified of their preliminary round audition time no later than January 6.
- All applicants must make their own travel arrangements for the auditions.
- For the preliminaries, applicants will perform one accompanied J.S. Bach aria of their choice (excluding arias from the above mentioned solo cantatas). An accompanist will be provided, but applicants may bring their own accompanist if they wish.
- Judges will choose finalists to perform in the afternoon from the preliminary round auditions.
- The chosen finalists will sing on Saturday, January 18, 2020 between 2:00–5:00 p.m. A specific time slot will be announced after the preliminary round.
- At the finals, each singer will present an aria and recitative movement from the above mentioned solo cantatas of his or her voice part. An accompanist will be provided, but finalists may bring their own accompanist if they wish.
How To Apply
The completed application and all additional materials must be postmarked no later than Saturday, December 14, 2019.
Applicants will be contacted via email by January 6, 2020, to inform you of your audition time. Please contact Nathan Payant at email@example.com with questions. Thank you!
All submission materials should be mailed to:
Colorado Bach Ensemble
c/o Nathan Payant
10985 W. Grand Pl
Littleton, CO 80127
Willem & Julia Luyten, violin
2019 Runner Up:
Erika Liu, violin