Inaugural Violin Concerto Competition
Colorado Bach Ensemble’s new Violin Concerto Competition is an opportunity for high school violinists to showcase their individual talents. Contestants prepare a memorized solo concerto by Johann Sebastian Bach, participate in a live audition with piano accompaniment for a panel of judges, and receive written educational feedback about their audition.
The winner will be a featured soloist on his or her chosen concerto and two runners-up will be selected to play as ensemble members for Coffee Cantata, BWV 211, in May 2019. The winner will receive a cash award of $1,000 and the two runners-up will be awarded $500 each.
How to Apply
The completed application and all additional materials must be postmarked no later than Friday, December 14, 2018.
Applicants will be contacted via email by January 1, 2019, to inform you of your audition time. Please contact Nathan Payant at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions. Thank you!
All submission materials should be mailed to:
Colorado Bach Ensemble
c/o Nathan Payant
10985 W. Grand Pl
Littleton, CO 80127
The competition is open to full-time high school students in Colorado. Those who are attending online schools or homeschooled are also invited to audition. Applicants must be available to attend the audition and performance dates, as well as the following rehearsals:
May 16 – 7-9:30 pm at Hampden Hall
May 17 – 7-9:30 pm at Hampden Hall
May 18 – 1-3:30 pm at Hampden Hall
Entry Submission Requirements
- Applications must be submitted by mail by the deadline of Friday, December 14, 2018
- The concerto must be a solo violin concerto by Johann Sebastian Bach.
- Memorization of the entire concerto is required for the live auditions and for the winner’s performance.
- Entry in this competition constitutes the contestant’s authorization to use his or her name, photographs, and biographical information for publicity purposes.
- The Colorado Bach Ensemble reserves the right to dismiss any application if it is found to be ineligible or misleading in any way.
- There will only be live auditions held on Saturday, January 19, 2019 at Bethany Lutheran Church in Cherry Hills Village.
- All applicants must provide his or her own accompanist, along with at least three copies of the score for the judges. A PDF of the score sent in advance is also acceptable. A full orchestral score is preferred, but a piano reduction will be satisfactory.
- Applicants are expected to be prepared to play the entire concerto, but the judges have the right to request to hear portions of each movement.
- Applicants must provide a copy of identification (i.e. driver’s license or passport) to confirm eligibility to apply. Applicants must be citizens of the United States or provide written authorization from applicant’s U.S.-based school (Designated School Official) confirming that the applicant can be awarded the competition prize money.
- Applicants must submit a resumé and/or brief biography of no more than 250 words with the application.
- A non-refundable application fee of $50.00 is required with the application. Cash or check (made payable to Colorado Bach Ensemble) is accepted.
The Colorado Bach Ensemble reserves the right to determine the extent to which the two runners-up will participate in the May 18/19, 2019 concerts.
Audition and Performance Information
Saturday, January 19, 2019
Bethany Lutheran Church
4500 E Hampden Ave, Cherry Hills Village, CO 80113
Saturday, May 18, 2019 | 7:30 pm
Hampden Hall at Englewood Civic Center
1000 Englewood Pkwy, Englewood, CO 80110
Sunday, May 19, 2019 | 4 pm/2:30 pm sound check
Organ Recital Hall, University Center for the Arts,
1400 Remington St. Fort Collins, CO 80524